Guest blogger Natalie Hidalgo
Day 2: Constructing the simple bodice
Welcome back!!! It’s time to break out those sewing machines. If you chose Option 1: the simple bodice, then today is for you. If you chose Option 2: the bib bodice (fancy), we will be working on it tomorrow. Using your pattern directions, follow the steps below.
1) Start with Preparing the Bodice Detail. Instead of folding over ¼ inch, fold your front sash in half, wrong sides together. I do this because, it is a lot easier to fold something in half than to fold down ¼ inch. Iron to set. Align the raw edge of the center sash to the raw edge of the front bodice. Sew to attach.
2) Construct the main bodice and the bodice lining, by attaching the front pieces to the back piece as shown in the instructions. When attaching the lining to the main bodice, do NOT add the elastic cord. Remember we are adding buttons instead.
3) Construct the side sashes, according to the pattern.
4) When attaching the side sashes to the bodice, create a small hand gather, as shown and then baste the sashes in place.
5) Pull the bodice right side out and iron to set. Attach the front to the back of the bodice, as shown in the pattern.
6) Top stitch
Yay!! You did it! I can’t wait to see your photos in the café. Don’t forget to post at least one of your in progress pictures in addition to the final picture, in the Little Lizard King Sewing Cafe, Peggy Sue Sew Along photo album, in order to qualify for the fabric prize from Threads and Stitches.