Blogger: Cassie Thorsen Banks
Star Wars Costumes
One of my favorite things about sewing is that every year at Halloween I get to create costumes for my kids! In past years, we've had characters such as Mary Poppins and Bert, Tinkerbelle and Captain Hook and Thing 1 and Thing 2. This year, we added a member to our family so we needed to brainstorm a creative theme using three characters and one that is appropriate for even the littlest of people! My kids are OBSESSED with Star Wars, so I wasn't shocked when they suggested that they would like to be characters from Star Wars this year. I wanted to create their costumes using only Little Lizard King patterns and I really enjoy making them as true to the original characters as possible! So today I'm sharing with you how I've created Star Wars costumes for my three kids using only Little Lizard King patterns . . . I hope you enjoy!
Rey is my 8 year old daughter's favorite Star Wars character and I secretly think she's pretty awesome too! I love a good Disney heroine and Rey is really the picture of a strong, independent woman! Rey is a desert scavenger and her costume features some culotte length pants, a flutter sleeve top and arm warmers.
To create the pants, I utilized the Free to Be Me Pants pattern. The only modification that I made was to shorten them and add a bit of length to the elastic because her legs just under the knee are a little bigger than her ankles where the pants would have normally hit.
For the top, I utilized the Harbor pattern but used a sturdy cream colored knit. I thought that the general shape of Harbor looked true to the original costume. First, I needed to add a bit of length to the original pattern. I order to do this, I used a really scientific method and held it up to my daughter to determine where I wanted the hem to sit and added a bit of blank paper to the bottom of the original pattern pieces. I did this for both the front and back so they were the same length.
I did this for both the front and back so they were the same length.
The original Harbor back piece is created for buttons, so to eliminate this I trimmed off the center back pattern piece where it juts out and then cut it on the fold. This made a low sweeping back but the width of the bodice worked out perfectly and is comfortable to pull over her head!
To construct the top, I used the same construction technique as the Kailua Town dress. First, I sewed the shoulder seams together and then the side seams and repeated for the main and lining.
Next, I sewed the main and lining together at the neck seam. Trimmed the seam and then flipped the top right side out and pressed it.
For the sleeves, I used the cap sleeve piece from the Merry dress pattern and left it unhemmed for a more ragged and rough look. Then I attached the sleeves using the usual method and hemmed the bottom of the top.
Next, I needed to create the arm wraps that are characteristic of Rey's appearance. To make these I took several scraps of the same knit I used for the bodice. The more ragged looking and rough the better. I laid them all out next two each other and began sewing them together one on top of the next to create a large ragged square.
Next, I measured the circumference of my daughter's arm and determined the length I desired. I used the same circumference measurement because this knit did not have a great deal of stretch. If using a stretchy knit, you may want to subtract 1/2 inch or so. I cut the arm warmers length and width and then sewed the piece lengthwise using 1/2 inch seam allowance. These ended up being the perfect accessory.
The last thing I did was dye the top and arm warmers in tea to make them appear dirty, just as a desert scavenger's clothing would be!
My 5 year old son asked to be Han Solo this year. This costume was also easily created using some of my favorite LLK patterns.
For the top, I used the Lacey Layering Tee pattern. I really just needed a simple top and this one fit the bill. I used the same cream colored sturdy knit and followed the pattern exactly.
For the vest, I used the Madison vest pattern and added a couple of faux pocket flaps for a more realistic appearance. To create these, I simply cut two rectangular pieces, sewed them together leaving an opening to flip and then top stitched and sewed them to the vest.
For the pants, I used the Cambridge Skinnies which were oh so perfect for this look! The only modification I made was to add a strip of wide red bias tape to the outside seam on both sides.
In order to do this, you will need to reverse the pattern assembly steps on page 20 and page 22 of the pattern so that the outer leg seam is sewn first, the bias tape sewn to the outside and then the inner leg seam completed.
And there you have it . . . Han Solo!
Baby 8 (or BB-8)
The last character I created was BB8. BB8 is a round droid that rolls about. I had to think for a while to determine the best way to recreate this look. In the end, I decided the Shortcake romper would give just the round bubbled appearance I was after.
I used plain white cotton to construct the bodice and romper, but added embroidery detail to make it appear more true to the character. I purchased the embroidery file from MyLittleAppleTree on Etsy. I cut out the front and back romper pieces and embroidered the design in three different places on the romper pieces.
Other than the embroidery detail, the BB8 Romper was assembled just a written in the Shortcake pattern.
In summary, I used the following patterns to created these Star Wars Costumes: